The Great Lakes Bay Regional Alliance Education Sub-Committee is a group which was initiated during the 2011-12 school year to align with the Great Lakes Bay Alliance emphasis and support for education. The committee met on October 4, 2011 and February 20, 2012 and will meet three times each school year beginning in the 2012-13 school year.
This group is the link for education from the Great Lakes Bay Alliance Board. The committee is closely aligned and connected with the Great Lakes Bay Region Education Collaborative which includes representatives from the three ISD’s (Intermediate School Districts) and all major school districts in the region. The Collaborative meets on a monthly basis and sets educational goals for the region based on student data.
The goals for the 2011-12 school year included:
- Establishment of one Instructional Services office for the entire region
- Development of one academic goal (Writing) based on student data including a professional development delivery plan developed by experts in this content area from SVSU, Delta College and local K-12 districts
- Implementation of the third annual Summer Leadership Academy in June 2012
- Performance of a high performing collaborative-first of its kind across the region.
The goals for the 2012-13 school year are in draft form at this time and include:
- Expansion of the unified Instructional Services office to include other educational services including technology services and health education
- Implementation of the Writing Goal set in 2011=12
- Development of mathematics goal based on student data and including expertise from local school districts, Delta College and SVSU.
- Redesign of the annual Summer Leadership Academy to meet the ongoing needs of local school leaders
In general, the Education Council of the Great Lakes Bay Alliance can claim the following accomplishments:
- Link to the work of the Great Lakes Bay Region Education Collaborative
- Establishment of a group to set large goals for the region
- Award of $35,000 to the region for MDE to further collaborative efforts
- Presentation at the Governor’s Conference on Education in April 2012